TANTOOO is the result the encounter between two little girls. This meeting took place on a huge, round, fat, bean bag. This was not like a normal bean bag, it was a special one. It was made by the mother of one of the two girls with a very special cloth, fabricated for external use: oil proof, water proof, sunlight resistant, but also soft like cotton, produced without the use of nasty chemicals, easy to wash and with double lining. It’s the kind of thing that only a wise mother would do, with love. Yes, because normally bean bags have only one lining and they are impossible to wash properly. So this gigantic pillow was made for the whole family, parents, kids, dogs, cats, to crash in front of great movie or with a great book to read out laud all together.
This meeting happened without a word, with barefoot, jumping up and down this big soft thing. It was like if it was alive. It was like a presence in the room, like if it was coming out of a fairytale book. Some eyes where stitched on it and so it was turned into a character, an Elephant: the first TANTOOO was born. “Tanto” means a “a lot” in Italian, so it was, and so it has been called. Later a smaller version of the Elephant was released, TANTINOOO (a small tanto). Then came the Giraffe and the little giraffe and more of them will follow along the way.
TANTOOO is manufactured with love in Italy by two very experienced upholsterers, Giuliana and Maurizio. It was designed and conceived by Vania Ripa, professional upholsterer and me Antonio Scarponi, architect and designer. We also happened to be the parents of those two little girls.
- TANTOOO. The Fairy Tale Bean Bag: A Lion Got out from the Zoo (of my Mind).
- TANTOOO! A Place Where to Read (and Write) Fairy Tales.
- Milano Design Week 2014.
- TANTO Launch Press: Swiss-Miss, LikeCool, BoingBoing.
- Poker of Events in Milano at Salone 2012.
- ELIOOO, the Japanese Edition is Out.
- Salone del Mobile 2015: Re Think the Modular (and Other Stories).
- ELIOOO. Grow Your Food. Or How to Go to IKEA® and Build a Device to Grow Salad in Your Apartment.
- The Hub Zurich Co-Working Space for Social Innovators: Construction Started.
- Human Camouflage: Shifting the Disguise From a Military to Civilian Purpose.